Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Lullabies

I was singing to myself tonight and I began to think of the lullabies that I sing to Lucas and Katie. I started to think about the words and how they are actually perfect for each one of them. So they will never forget them, I want to write the words to each and then explain to my children why they are so special and meaningful to me. Before we began, yes Katie, Lucas' song is longer but that's not my fault! I didn't write the songs!!


To Lucas, my sticky, slimy, sweet little boy,


Dragon tails and the water is white, pirates sail and lost boys fly, fish bite moon beams every night and I love you.

Godspeed, little man. Sweet dreams, little man. Oh my love will fly to you each night on angel's wings. Godspeed. Sweet dreams.

The rocket racer's all tuckered out. Superman's in pajamas on the couch. Goodnight moon will find the mouse and I love you.

Godpeed, little man. Sweet dreams, little man. Oh my love will fly to you each night on angel's wings. Godspeed. Sweet dreams.

God bless mommy and matchbox cars. God bless dad and thanks for the stars. God hears amen wherever we are and I love you.

Godspeed, little man. Sweet dreams, little man. Oh my love will fly to you each night on angel's wings. Godspeed. Sweet dreams.


I love this song for you for several reasons. First of all, it portrays you to an almost perfection. You have a great imagination and all day you play superheroes and pirates and all of the things you would love to be. Then at night, in pajamas, asleep in your bed, I see my sweet little boy. You talk about everything you want to do when you get bigger and I am begging for you to slow down. Unfortunately, time goes quickly and just as you change from loving Woody to Spiderman to Batman, you also are becoming a little man right before my eyes. The last verse really speaks to me for your future. Boys are meant to grow up, find themselves, fall in love, marry, become a father and a man of God. You will be the leader of your family. You will not need me like you do now. As heartbreaking as it is to admit that, I want you to become these things and for you to do that, I will eventually have to let you go. You will not call me for every heartbreak, every disappointment. Believe me when I say that if you do call, I WILL be there for you. But, in general, boys will not be open like that. So I will have to rely on the fact that you know my love will fly to you on angel's wings whenever you need it. I love you Lucas. Godspeed, little man. Sweet dreams.




To Katie, my beautiful, fun, sweet little girl,


Baby mine, don't you cry. Baby mine, dry your eyes.

Rest your head close to my heart, never to part, Baby of mine.



First of all, I told you it was short! But, it says so much in those few words. Katie, you are my little girl. I dried your eyes as a newborn when we were getting used to each other. I dry your eyes now when the downfall of being a toddler is falling alot! I will dry your eyes in elementary school when your best friend spreads a rumor about you. I will dry your eyes in middle school when the boy you like likes somebody else. I will dry your eyes in high school when your team loses the championship game or when you fail the test you studied so hard for. When you graduate and leave for college, we will dry each other's eyes. When you call to say you have found the one, we will cry tears of joy! When I first met you, two ideas came to my mind. One, I would have a shopping partner for life. Two, one day I would hopefully get to watch you become a mommy. That, in itself, is unbelievably amazing to me. You will know firsthand the love I have for you and Lucas. You will experience the happiness, fear and overwhelming love of having a baby. You will nurse your newborn and stare into his or her eyes and wonder how you've lived as long as you had without knowing this crazy love. You will also cry. You will be tired. You will feel inadequate and guilty about every move you make. And I will be there for you. I will again dry your eyes as you are drying your child's eyes. No matter where our roads lead, I want you to know that you can rest your head onto my heart, never to part, baby of mine. I love you, Katie Grace.


2 comments:

  1. Will you PLEASE write more blogs... they are my ABSOLUTE favorite!!!

    Awesome every time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M CRYING!!! STOP IT!!!! I love reading these :) I agree with Holly, write more!!!! You are such an amazing mommy :) This will be so neat for Lucas & Katie to read someday....

    ReplyDelete